CRAB NICHOLSON EXTREME SLEEPOVER
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So... Why game maker?

2 posters

Go down

So... Why game maker? Empty So... Why game maker?

Post  Shiny Pidgey Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 am

It seems it would cut down immensely on development time were you to use Inform 7 to make the game. Of course, that is just the version I use and really any version of Inform would be just as good. Using pre-made addons you can get the still graphics and music and the package already contains a parser which already avoids all the problems you've listed in the bugs page.

I don't know precisely how far along you are in this and I guess if you're used to game maker it might be somewhat of a pain to learn how to use Inform but really I'm just curious as to why you chose game maker over something more suited to producing what you want.
Shiny Pidgey
Shiny Pidgey
Crab
Crab

Back to top Go down

So... Why game maker? Empty Re: So... Why game maker?

Post  Orteil Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am

I know Inform7 and have used it for other games. However, the "natural language coding" part is more of a handicap than an advantage when coding complex behaviors. Also Inform can't create new objects on the fly (what if Crab Nicholson needs an infinite supply of sandwiches for his sleepover ?). Furthermore, Inform games still need an interpreter to run them and that's a pain in the ass; GameMaker directly creates .exes. Oh and, GameMaker is expandable at whim, which means we might be able to make a DS version someday. Additionally, even with the tricks allowed by Inform, GameMaker is waaaay better when it comes to including graphical moving elements.
Orteil
Orteil
CRAB NICHOLSON
CRAB NICHOLSON

Male Posts : 56

http://orteil.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down